What is the US Natural Products Association?
Products bearing the USNPA Natural Seal are composed of 95% natural ingredients at minimum, however many certified products would contain well over 95% natural ingredients. The standard will help you, the customer become better educated about ingredients, raw materials and processes considered natural. This gives you, all the key information you need to easily identify which personal care products and homecare products, meet the standard for natural and therefore make the best decisions when choosing products. Until the USNPA standard, there was no definition of the term "natural" used in the home care & personal care industry. With the launch of the USNPA Natural Standard and Certification for home care products, consumers can look for the easily identifiable ‘natural products association certified’ seal to discern which home care & personal care products are truly natural.
The Natural Seal identifies;
1. Natural Ingredients: A product labelled "natural" should be made up of only (or at least almost only) natural ingredients and be manufactured with appropriate processes
2. Safety: A product labelled "natural" should avoid any ingredient that has peer-reviewed, scientific research showing human health or environmental risk
3. Responsibility: A product labelled "natural" should use no animal testing in its development except where required by law
4. Sustainability: A product labelled "natural" should use biodegradable ingredients and the most environmentally sensitive packaging
Key prohibited ingredients are:
• Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
• Petrolatum/Mineral Oil/Paraffin
• Chemical Sunscreens (Avobenzone/Oxybenzone)
• Ethoxylated ingredients such as Sodium Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate, PEGs or PPGs
• Ethanolamines like MEA/DEA/TEA
• Synthetic polymers
For more information visit http://www.npainfo.org/